After I started this project at the ProBlogger Event last month, it got lots of lovely comments. But it has been slow going. It has been my “take to swimming and dancing” project so it only had a little bit of time on it each week. But last night when the end was in sight, I sat on the couch and finished it off! So here is my finished chevron iPhone case. I love it!
It started out as a kit from the The Haby Goddess. Threads and needle were included as were patterns. But being me, I chose my own threads from my collection and created my pattern as I went along. It is basically a mix of wider and narrower chevrons in ombre colours.
I used DMC embroidery threads in these colours:
- darkest green: 991
- middle green: 912
- lighter green: 913
- darkest blue: 3765
- middle blue: 806
- lightest blue: 807
I used two strands for my cross stitches although the kit recommended one strand. Two strands allowed me to start my stitching without knots which I figured would be flatter on the inside next to the phone. (Hey? How do you start with no knots?! See my tutorial, of course!)
- Try not to make mistakes! I found it was really hard to unpick stitches on this rubbery case and I ruined my thread as I unpicked. I was very careful after that!
- As with all cross stitch try to make all your stitches look the same by doing the first the first part of the cross the same way each time.
- The rubbery case is quite bendable, so if you’re having trouble finishing off at the back, try flipping the edges inside out.
- Consider using a thimble to protect your fingers – it can be a little harder to push through the holes than it is through fabric. (Another thing I learnt the hard way! Ow!)
- You could do any kind of stitch on these case so if you want to draw a picture, try using back stitches instead.