I’ve been playing with an idea. I have seen crochet hair ties at markets and shops and finally sat down and fiddled until I worked out how to do it. This is my first attempt and I assure you there will be some more. I’m thinking I want a more “ruffled” look, kind of like a lettuce edging on stretch fabric. So I’m going to play again when I have some time.
This does work OK though. My resident Hair Model was at school when I was taking pictures, so I don’t have a photo of it in action but it looks ncie around a pony tail. I used some 8 ply yarn I had left over, a 4.5 size hook and a thick elastic hair tie.
If you’d like to have a go, here’s what I did:
- First I made a loop then created a stitch around my hair tie.
- Then I crocheted around the whole hair tie as if I was doing a base chain row but catching the hair tie in the middle of my stitch. It is kind of hard to explain but I didn’t take any pictures – next time I will!
- When I had covered the whole circle, I slip stitched into the first stitch.
- Second Row/ Round: triple crochet into every stitch in the base round, slip stitch into the first stitch when you get there.
- Third Row/ Round: [Single crochet, 2 x triple crochet, single crochet], repeat all the way around
- Slip stitch into the first stitch and end off
- Weave in the ends