Handy Zipper Trick

sewing zippers trick

Have you ever sewn up a pouch or pencil case, then realised that you left the zipper closed and now you can’t turn it through?!

That’s what I did yesterday while making new pencil cases for my store.

But I discovered a little trick.

sewing zippers trick

I slipped a knitting needle into the little gap that I did have and caught  the little hole in the zipper pull. Then I could push the zipper open – Yay! Much quicker than having to unpick the seam and sew it up again.

P.S. Like what you've read? Join over 2000 readers who

Don't stress if your comment doesn't appear immediately - sometimes I have to moderate comments thanks to spam visitors, but the comments from real readers will always get published. Scroll down to add your thoughts or ask a question.

Comments

1. Tanya says

Ahhhh, I’ll be remembering that trick. Constantly making that mistake, drives me batty! Your posts are awesome Tonya. No word of a lie, every 2nd or 3rd post seems to deal with whatever problem or query I am having at the time. Thanks for sharing :-). And your store is looking great!

Awww, thanks, Tanya. It’s nice to think that someone finds it useful.

If you ever want to send me a list of problems or queries, I’d be happy to see if I can write a post for you with some answers. I’m always on the lookout for post ideas!

That would work great, too, Toqua. Especially for those who don’t have a knitting needle. Thanks!

I suppose you could also use a paintbrush handle, a chopstick, a skewer, or a pencil.

2. Nabiha says

Thanks for the fantastic tip! Wish I had read this before I messed up on my first zipper pouch and had to open and resew : ( Will be remembering this for my future pouches though, have a great day!

3. says

That’s pretty clever! I’ve never bothered unpicking again, but wrestling with the tab through the fabric is pretty darn annoying…will HAVE to try this out when I mess up next! (Notice I said when, not IF, lol)

4. shalala says

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Recently washed a pair of very expensive pillow shams with delicate appliques. Turned the shams inside out &closed the zippers to protect the detailing during the wash cycle. Almost cried when I couldn’t unzip them once they dried. Your site is full of great tips! Thanks again!!