We went to a special birthday party on the weekend. Not 1, not 2, but 3 kids celebrated together with a Garden Party and I was blown away by Mummy T’s creative party skills! Now I know she would say that she is not at all ‘crafty’ but I have to disagree. The creative ideas were amazing! She has generously agreed to let me share some of the pictures I took and in turn, some of the clever ideas, so look out for another post tomorrow with more general party and food ideas.
First and foremost, I had to share the kids’ craft. With a garden theme, the kids got to make egg carton bugs. Aren’t they cute?
Mummy T had all the bits ready to go and a couple of examples made to show them what to do. The bodies are made from part of egg cartons with a few easy additions to make them into lady bugs, butterflies, spiders and bees.
What You Need
- Egg cartons – the cup pieces trimmed
- Pipe cleaners
- Stick on eyes
- Colouring pencils or pens
My bee photo is a bit blurry – sorry!
What To Do
- Colour in the body for your bug. We had lady bugs with red and black, bees with black and yellow, and butterflies and spiders in whatever colour the kids’ imaginations could create!
- Poke holes for the pipe cleaners and add them. Ladybugs had two short pieces for antennae. Spiders had 8 short pieces for legs. Butterflies and bees had two longer pieces for wings.
- Finally, stick on the eyes.
Mummy T kindly shared her inspiration sources too:
Now for something kind of related:
The hosts of this clever crafty party operate a website all about Aussie Bushwalking. Bushwalkers can sign up then track walks they have been on and share walks for others to find. Their goal is to create a database of bushwalking information from real people who really know the walks. You can find them at Aussie Bushwalking, so pop over and check them out!