Ripple Blanket

If you’ve been following my posts on Facebook, you would have gathered that I started a ripple crochet blanket and that I am kind of excited about it. So here’s the progress so far. I was inspired by Mel at One Crafty Mumma and she in turn found the pattern at Attic24 here. I haven’t done a lot of crochet so this is a pretty big project for me. Luckily I have a friend who is an expert – she says she isn’t but she makes up her designs as she goes along!!!! – and she was available to help me get started.

A few details for enquiring minds who might want to know: I’m using Moda Vera Pure Wool 8 ply from Spotlight and a size 4.5 hook. I started with around 220 stitches in my chain and I’m working two rows in each colour.

Things I’ve learnt so far:

• When changing colours, leave your crochet hook in the stitch loop and knot the new colour as close as you can.
  • If you make your initial chain too long, you can leave it hanging then weave it into the blanket at the end.
  • If you want wider ripples, just add extra trebles into the pattern. For example, instead of doing 4 trebles on each side of the increase and decrease stitches, you could do 5 or 6 or even more.
  • It really isn’t as tricky as it looks!

Update: I have posted some more crochet ripple progress here.

Update: See my finished blanket!

Do you crochet? Any tips for a beginner like me?

Learn to Crochet online with Craftsy:

Online crochet class Craftsy

P.S. Like what you've seen? Subscribe for more crafty News every week!

Don't stress if your comment doesn't appear immediately - sometimes I have to moderate comments thanks to spam visitors, but the comments from real readers will always get published. Scroll down to add your thoughts.

Comments

1. says

Oooohh I love it, the colors you picked look so good together. That’s half the battle picking good colors, my mom’s knitting books always seem to have terrible color combinations in their examples. She says it to show the detail but I always think if you’re going to go to all that work at least it should look attractive.

2. says

it looks great. these cool/cold days are perfect to settle inside and craft. i look forward to seeing your further progress.

3. Deb H. says

I love ripple rugs, they look so classy. Am currently doing a six pointed star rug for my neice (like a ripple rug). Before that finished a 12 pointed star for my granddaughter. Goodluck with you rug. Best…

4. says

Oh, this looks good! Yay for you picking up the hook :-) Looks fabulous! Can’t wait to see it finished. I started crochet at the beginning of this year and find it amazing how easily you learn. Just don’t give up! Big projects are tough and sometimes you want to yell: I don’t want to do this anymore, it’s never gonna be finished! But it will! :-) If you feel like crocheting some more, I have a very easy peasy flower pattern on my blog: http://happyinred.blogspot.com/2011/05/patroon-gehaakte-bloem.html

5. says

Found you through the Sunday Showcase and am a new follower! This is a great idea! I love the vibrant colors you used. I’ve been knitting lately (I have two posts on them), but am almost done with a crochet baby blanket. I’m trying to figure out the edging I want to use. I hope that you have time to follow my life in South Africa here at http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

Thanks!

6. says

I discovered your blog via my ipad app craftgawker. I’ve enjoyed looking through your blog and I’ve become a follower. I’m working on my own version of a ripple blanket as well. They are lots of fun to make. Enjoy today.

Thanks for dropping in, Crafty Gardener. Craftgawker is so addictive! I could spend hours just looking at things there. I’d love to see your ripple blanket.

7. says

Great start on this blanket! I got back into crocheting this winter so I always love to check out anybody who’s crocheting..Please come over and link up to my party! Can’t wait to see the finished product too!

8. says

Well I’d say you are well on your way to having a very colorful and cozy afghan! I’m no beginner, but I don’t think I have any tips to add to those you already are using. I do have lots of crochet information on my website though, including videos and patterns and tips, so if you’re looking for more information, please come on over and visit!

MGM

9. says

I have been crocheting for a while and tip I have for changing color is to start the last stitch in the old color, but you finish off the stitch in the new color. I hope this wasn’t too confusing.
    So far your blanket looks great.

10. Frankie says

What I sometimes do when changing colors is hold the new color against the top of the line I’m working, stitching over it- for however many stitches would make you feel sure it is secure. Then do as previously suggested and start in old loop, work stitch in new. You can also run the yarn from the old color along to stitch over it as you work the new color, thus no knots.