June 11th to 17th is World Wide Knit in Public Day . Yes, I know. That’s a week, not a day. Apparently you can pick any day in there, you see. Each year since 2005 this day has been held around the world to get knitters together to socialise and share their skills. Knitting is in vogue again, you know, and it can be a community activity.
So my friend has organised for us to get together at a local cafe on Friday. (I know, that’s the 10th – we’re ok with that!) I’m really looking forward to knitting (or maybe crocheting?) and chatting and drinking coffee with friends.
So I’m going to give you some ideas on where you could knit in public – I hope I can inspire you!
- In a cafe or coffee shop like we will
- On the train or bus as you head to work or school
- At the swimming pool while you watch the kids have their lesson (I do this one every week!)
- At Playgroup while the kids play
- In the park while you eat your lunch
- At church on Sunday while you listen to the sermon
- In the movies – multi-tasking in action!
- In the tea room at work while you make a cuppa and take a break
- At ballet class or football practice while you wait for the kids
- Outside school while you wait to pick up the kids – I plan to arrive early deliberately ;o)
So now you have the ideas, go and call your friends! Where else could you get together and knit?
Let me know where you plan to knit.