Crochet Blanket Progress

stripe crochet blanket

I started working on a new crochet blanket a couple of weeks ago after finishing my crochet rainbow blanket and loving it so much.

This one is distinctly “boy” colours – navy blue, lime green and bone. My son, also known as Mr Happy, is already asking for this one to be his – and I don’t think he has ever claimed one of my projects before!

stripe crochet blanket

The pattern is the same as the rainbow blanket but with only 3 colours. I am randomly deciding the order of colours and width of bands as I go long. When I feel like a change, I change colour again.

striped crochet blanket

So this is what I am currently working on at swimming lessons, soccer practice, dance lessons and in front of the TV.

Some details for those that like to know:

• 8ply acrylic yarn called Thorobred from Spotlight
  • 100g balls – so far I’ve used 3
  • Size 4.5 hook
  • 153 stitches wide

P.S. Like what you've read? Join over 2000 readers who

Don't stress if your comment doesn't appear immediately - sometimes I have to moderate comments thanks to spam visitors, but the comments from real readers will always get published. Scroll down to add your thoughts or ask a question.

Comments

1. Jodie Parke says

I have bought some of the Thorobred yarn to take on holidays to make another rainbow blanket. I am 90% through my first one.

2. Traci says

I just want you to know that I was really delighted when saw your site…so0 cute! thanks that you’ve shared this.

3. Sarah says

Way wondering if you would share what stitch your using?

I’m living the colors as well it’s beautiful!

4. cara says

Hi i was just wondering what size the blanket was eventually and how many balls of wool did you use for each colour? Thanks

• Mel says

I love this blanket and I think I will make a rainbow one for my daughter. It looks just lovely. I am currently making one for my son using the Thorobred Red and White, but they have stopped stocking it. I am in Australia, but I would be happy to buy from anywhere just to get this finished properly. I probably only need another 2 balls. Do you have any ideas of where I could look?

Hi Mel,

I’ve only seen it in Spotlight but I’ve put the question out on my Facebook page so hopefully someone will have a suggestion for you.

I’ll let you know what they say,
          Tonya

• Mel says

Thanks so much for that. I went to our local spotlight the other day and they said they don’t stock it anymore, but it has been replaced by a ‘Stallion’ brand. Unfortunately the colours don’t match though. I’m okay with the white of course, but the red is the one I’m having problems with. Thank you again for your help.

Hi Mel,

One of my Facebook readers said they heard it was a Spotlight exclusive brand but had recently been discontinued. What a nuisance! I wonder whether you might find some extra balls on eBay or a similar site where people sell their excess things?

5. Mel says

Thanks for your help Tonya.
    I’ll keep hunting on eBay and see what I can find. I just created this blanket from scratch and because I didn’t have a pattern I had no idea how many balls I would need. Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to trying your rainbow blanket as soon as I complete this one. :)