These are great coasters because they look tricky but are really quite easy. Hence the name “Simple Coasters”. I originally found the tutorial online somewhere a few years ago but I can’t seem to find that original tutorial anymore. So I thought I’d share my version in case you need some new coasters for Christmas like I did! These took me less than an hour to whip up.
What You Need:
- 5 squares of fabric – 4.5″ square
- 1 square of iron-on pellon – 4″ square
What To Do:
1. Iron the pellon onto the back of the square that you want to use for the back of the coaster.
2. Fold the other four squares of fabric in half and press.
3. Lay the backing piece with the right side up and the pellon side down.
4. Lay the folded pieces on top with the folded edges all facing to the centre of the square. Here’s a little Vine video to show how to arrange them:
5. Stitch around the square about a quarter inch from the edge.
6. Clip the corners.
7. Turn through by gently opening up the square and flipping the folded edges to the other side. The pellon should end up in the middle.
8. Push out the corners with a knitting needle and press.