I got the urge to bake on Sunday afternoon so it seemed perfect to make Anzac biscuits with the holiday this week. There are lots of recipes out there but this is one that I use.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut (I used some desiccated and some shredded because that’s what I had!)
- 125g butter
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
- Sift flour and sugar into a large bowl.
- Add coconut and rolled oats.
- Melt butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over low heat.
- Dissolve bicarb in hot water.
- Remove the butter mixture from the heat and stir in the bicarb. It should foam.
- Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix.
- Place balls of mixture on a greased tray and flatten slightly. Leave room for spreading.
- Bake at 180C for about 20 minutes or until just brown.
- Quick oats will also work fine in this recipe
- Cooking time may vary a little. I used my fan forced oven on 170C and baked for about 12-15 minutes, so keep an eye on them.
- Let them cool for a few minutes on the trays, then transfer them to a wire rack.
- I doubled the recipe and made about 4 trays worth.
- You can use honey in place of the golden syrup.
- Store in an air tight container – if they don’t get eaten by the family first!