This is one of those crafts that was born of necessity and took all of 5 minutes. We have two dishwasher drawers in our kitchen. When we bought the house, I wasn’t that thrilled to have drawers instead of a standard dishwasher, but now I love them. I can fill up one and then run it while I am putting things into the other drawer. It has been great when we have people over because we can fill one drawer with the dinner dishes then run it while we are eating dessert. It is to have another part of the kitchen clean up taken care of on the night.
But one problem with two drawers is training the family to fill one before they fill the other one, and to not put dirty dishes into the clean drawer waiting to be unpacked. So I created a magnet that says “clean” to go on the clean drawer.
I discovered how well the system had been working this week when the family couldn’t cope with the magnet disappearing for few hours! They couldn’t work out which drawer to put things into!
My original magnet was brown and baby blue, but it was starting to look a bit tired so it was time to create a new one. You could also use a magnet like this on a standard dishwasher to show when the load is clean and waiting for unpacking.
- plastic pocket, the type used for badges on the ends of lanyards – found at stationery stores
- paper, card, letter stickers
- magnet – mine was left in the letterbox by a local company
- double-sided tape
- Create a sign with your card, paper and stickers. Mine says “clean” but I’m sure you have heaps more imagination!
- Attach the magnet to the back of the plastic pocket with the tape
- Slip the card into the pocket and you’re done!