Do you show your recent posts or links to your past posts in your sidebar? No? Well, you are missing out on an opportunity.
Consider this scenario:
I click through and read it – and love it, of course!
So I want to read some more posts you’ve written.
I look in the sidebar but there aren’t any links there.
Oh well, another day perhaps… and off I click…
……Oops! Reader gone!
If you had a little list there of Recent Posts or Top Posts or even Categories or Tags, I could explore some more.
How to add a Recent Posts widget to your Sidebar
- Go to Appearance > Widgets in your Dashboard
- If you have Jetpack installed, you should find widgets for Recent Posts, Categories and Tags in the list in the middle section of the screen.
- Click, drag and drop the one you want into your Sidebar area.
- You can then edit the options, like the title and how many posts you want to show up.
- Click save and you’re done.
- You can find similar widgets in there for Categories and Tags,and you can add them by following the same steps. I use the WordPress.com Popular Posts widget, which you can find here or search within your dashboard where you add new plugins. It is a separate plugin to download that integrates with the Jetpack stats. Once you download and activate it, you will see it in the list of widgets to drag across.
- Go to the Layout screen in your Dashboard.
- At the top of your Sidebar, click on “Add a Gadget”
- There is a Popular Post Gadget in the Basics list in the window that pops up.
- Click the + sign to add it. Choose the options you want and Save.
- You can drag and drop it to where you want it in your Sidebar list, then Save (at the top)
- To show Recent Posts in Blogger, add the Archives gadget. You can rename it “Recent Posts” if you like.