Crochet Rainbow Blanket Tutorial

crochet rainbow blanket

I’ve finished!!

I’ve been loving this crochet rainbow blanket as I’ve worked on it. So much so that I haven’t been able to resist sending out updates every now and again on Instagram and Facebook.

It’s a soft and snuggly rainbow, and very, very easy. All the rows are the same stitches over and over. I thought it was called a double crochet, but a little research tells me it is actually a half double crochet:

• Yarn over
  • Insert the hook in the next stitch
  • Yarn over and pull through (you should have 3 loops on your hook)
  • Yarn over and pull through all three loops

Rainbow Crochet Blanket Tutorial

Blanket Pattern:

Chain a whole lot for your base row – I started with 152 chains and my blanket is about 107cm or 42″ wide.

Leave the first 2 chain and half double crochet into the third chain.

Continue to half double crochet into every chain.

At the end of the row, chain 2 then turn and half double crochet all the way back! Easy!

crochet blanket rainbow

• Size 4.5 crochet hook
  • 152 stitches in my starting chain
  • 140 rows
  • 12 different colours
  • Each row took me about 9 minutes
  • That’s 21 hours all up – over a couple of months

What have you been working on lately?

Learn to Crochet online with Craftsy:

Online crochet class Craftsy

P.S. Like what you've read? Join over 2000 readers who

Don't stress if your comment doesn't appear immediately - sometimes I have to moderate comments thanks to spam visitors, but the comments from real readers will always get published. Scroll down to add your thoughts or ask a question.

Comments

• Jodie Parke says

Well, you convinced me. I’ve started and am on my third colour. I am thinking of going and buying another ball of each colour so I have enough to make another blanket. Think I must crochet a lot tighter than you though as mine is only about 95cm wide.

Yay! Can’t wait to see a picture!
            You might crochet tighter than I do, Jodie, it can be so different for different people. A different size hook can make a difference too.

1. says

I finished a pair of bed socks for DD yesterday. Pictures on my blog post today.

I love your blanket – so bright and colorful, just the way I like them!

2. Paige Rundle says

It looks great! Your half double crochet can also be called a half treble depending on what country you come from! I love the final effect of the blanket and the colours. So what’s up next?

It is so confusing that the stitches have different names in different countries, Paige! I’ve given up trying tok remember them now.

I think next I’ll use some of the left over yarn in granny squares from the book you gave me for my birthday…

3. Michelle says

Hel-lo. I have been crocheting since 1974 and have been helping a young college student with her crochet skills this summer. She has fallen in love with the Rainbow blanket and is armed with coupons and a student discount for Joann’s Craft Store, ready to buy yarn for this project. I surfed around this site for information, but seem to be missing some additional datails. We know we need twelve colors. What we haven’t been able to figure out are the yarn colors, the yarn weight/category, the how much of each color that she’ll need and what size crochet hook did you happen to use? I understand the half-double crochet as: yarn over, pull up a loop, then yarn over and pull through all three loops on the hook. The “middle stitch” between a single crochet and a double crochet. Is this the same technique that you used? Is the yarn weight a catergory 4 yarn or something else? We’re looking at the Vanna Colors by Lion Brand, since there is such a wide color selection, but I’m not finding enough information on the ‘net about the Moda Vera to compare the two yarns, beyond that Moda Vera is wool and Vanna is acrylic. Would greatly appreciate any information that you might care to share. Thanks so much! Michelle

Hi Michelle,
      Let me see if I can answer your questions…
      Your half-double crochet sounds the same as mine so that is all good.
      With a little research, it seems that my 8 ply yarn is the equivalent of your category 3 yarn. (This web page gives a table to compare them: http://www.tricksyknitter.com/pages/posts/yarn-weights-terminology-and-us-vs-uk-standards-312.php)
      My balls of yarn are 50g balls, and I’d suggest you get at least 2 balls of each colour.
      Although I used wool, you could easily switch it for acrylic and the blanket would work just fine.
      I used a 4.5 size hook which I believe is a size 7 in the US system. (Comparison chart here: http://www.karpstyles.com/crochet/hook-chart.html)
      Moda Vera yarn doesn’t have colour names so I couldn’t tell you colours, but I suggest she picks a set of colours she LOVES and that look good together. You could add a pink in, or go more pastel shades, or darker shades. Just lay the balls side by side in the store to get an idea of how they will look.
      I hope that helps! I’d love to see a picture of the blanket when it is done!
      Tonya

• Michelle says

Thanks so much for the great information! Even though the conversion chart is correct for a 3 weight yarn, we decided to use 4 weight yarn, for the wider color choices. For other American readers, the crochet hook is also known as a letter “G” hook and the half-double crochet stitch is the same that you described. Looking forward to making this project! Will send photos when done.

4. Megan says

Hey quick question what was the length of you blanket? Im gonna try to make your beautiful blanket but I’m going to make it double. You told us the width but only the length was originally 152 chains. Thank you so much!

5. says

what was you length of your blanket? You said you started with 152 orignal chains and told us the final width but never the length. Thank you so much!

6. Jenee Todd says

OK, you gave instructions for row 1 and row 2. Since row 1 skips the first two chains and row 2 doesn’t, I need to know if the rest of the blanket is simply row 2 all the way through or is the pattern a repeat of row 1 and 2 each time? I am presuming it is row 2 from then on to finish, but wanted to double check since stitches are often times skipped when turning for many crocheted projects.

Hi Jenee,
      Sorry it wasn’t clear for you. Yes, you are repeating row 2 for the rest of the blanket. There are 2 chain at the end of each row to make it all sit flat but you crochet in to the top of the half double crochet.
      I hope that makes more sense, Tonya

7. Lauren says

How do you switch colors at the end of the row so you don’t end up with two colors at the beginning of your rows?

Hi Lauren,
      I leave my crochet hook in the last stitch and cut off the yarn leaving a couple inches to spare. Then I tie my new yarn colour on, pulling the knot as close as I can to the crochet hook. The hook stops the last stitch from being pulled out. Then I crochet the couple of chain stitches and turn for the next row.
      Does this help?
      Tonya

8. says

Just beautiful! I LOVE color! I couldn’t pick just one if I had too. What a labor of love this blanket is. Thanks for sharing.

9. jackie says

Hi I’ve started this blanket today. does it matter how many chains you start with? You did 152… does it have to be +2? Thanks!

Hi Jackie,
      You could start with any width you want to for this blanket and it will still work. Just remember as you go into the first row of half double crochet, skip the first two chain and crochet into the third one. This will ensure you don’t have puckering at the end of the row.

I’d love to see a picture of your blanket when you’re finished!
      Tonya

10. Sharon says

Hi! I know this is an old post but just wanted to say I’ve just started my second blanket with this pattern! My first blanket was my first crochet project and helped me get a grasp on the movements of crochet. Although I didn’t count my first chain stitches and it became a throw blanket instead of a baby blanket because it was so big! It took me a long time and about 20 50g balls. This time round I’ve counted!

11. Zuzana says

I have just come across your beautiful blankie on pintrest. I knit more than crochet, but you have made the pattern so easy to follow, I am going to make one for my granddaughter. Just signed up and can hardly wait to see more of your lovely creations. Thank you so much!