There are certain things I try to remember to do before I hit “Publish” on my posts. But life is busy and my memory is getting worse so I’ve made myself a checklist.
Perhaps it will help you, too.
Update: Some of these things I now do using the Yoast SEO plugin. It reminds me to add the meta description and think a little about keywords and social media sharing. I have found it so useful to have in the edit screen of my blog.
Before I Post Checklist
- Spell check – with the spell checker and with my brain
- Read for sense and flow
- Check grammar
- Format headings
- Add links to previous posts?
- Add links to sources or other blogs?
- Check text alignment
- Finish with a question?
- Check that you’ve used keywords, especially in the title (Thanks, Mary)
- Consider using synonyms in the text, so the post will show up in more search engine results (Thanks, Birgit)
- Check sizing
- Add formatting?
- Add title?
- Change link to source (if not my own photo)
- Link to a previous blog post?
- Add alt title
- Select featured image
- Make sure one image is great for pinning to Pinterest
- Add custom meta description (this gets pulled to Facebook)
- Add tags
- Add category
- Add custom meta description
- Publish or Schedule?
- Pick Schedule date and time
- Preview to make sure looks right
- Add custom meta keywords
- Add keyword to the title?
What about you? Are there things you always do before you publish a blog post?
Related: Here’s my Checklist for After I Post