Yesterday I wrote about how to make the first part of my Kids Kitchen Set – the tea towel and the pot holders. Today we’re going to make the apron with the remaining pieces to finish the set.
What You Need
- One apron – the kind that has a loop around the neck as well as a skirt
- 2 tea towels
- 2 pieces of iron-on pellon, 6″ square
What To Do
Cut one tea towel in half
Cut the top off the apron
Cut the last tea towel into:
- Three strips 2.5″ wide
- 4 squares 6″x 6″
- Keep the little edge bits 6″ long
Tea Towel and Pot Holders
Click here to see the post about making these: Kids Kitchen Set Tutorial Part 1
Sewing the Apron
The apron is made from the original apron top, half of a tea towel and the long 2.5″ wide strips.
- Trim the apron top at the sides to the same width as the tea towel plus seam allowance. See photo above: just lay them out, center the apron top and trim leaving about 2cm.
- Fold the side edge in about 1cm, then fold again and sew to create the seam.
- Lay the apron top and tea towel raw edge right sides together, pin and sew.
- Press the seam to one side and top stitch the hold the seam flat. Trim the raw edge with pinking shears.
The apron ties are made from the 2.5″ strips.
- Fold each strip in half lengthways wrong sides together and press to create a crease.
- Open the fold up and fold in each edge about quarter of an inch and press.
- Fold the whole strip in half again so that the raw edges are inside the folds. Stitch the open edges closed.
Attach a tie to each side of your apron. The third tie is for the neck loop, although if you prefer you can leave the original neck loop there and perhaps just shorten it a little for a child.
What about the last piece of apron? Well, we don’t need that bit for the kids set, but if you finish the top edge, you’ll have a new apron for Mummy as well!
You are just too clever Tonya! Love the choice of tea towels and Apron too!
Thanks for linking up with #TUST
Annaleis – Blogs and PR Team Member
Thanks Annaleis! I must go back and visit some of those links – where did my day go?!
Yvette @ Little Bento Blog says
That is just TOOOOOO CUTE!!! Love it!!
I have a sewing machine.. I really need to learn how to sew…
Visiting from #TTUT 🙂
Twinkle in the Eye says
You can never have too many cupcakes! Looks great.
Wonderful tutorial! I loved the outcome!
Great post!! I included it in my post Βόλτα στη Γειτονιά #24 🙂
Have a great week!!
Thanks for letting me know, Taelia! Have a great day!