Yesterday I wrote about how to make the first part of my Kids Kitchen Set – the tea towel and the pot holders. Today we’re going to make the apron with the remaining pieces to finish the set.
What You Need
- One apron – the kind that has a loop around the neck as well as a skirt
- 2 tea towels
- 2 pieces of iron-on pellon, 6″ square
What To Do
Cutting:Cut one tea towel in half Cut the top off the apron Cut the last tea towel into:
- Three strips 2.5″ wide
- 4 squares 6″x 6″
- Keep the little edge bits 6″ long
Tea Towel and Pot HoldersClick here to see the post about making these: Kids Kitchen Set Tutorial Part 1
Sewing the ApronThe apron is made from the original apron top, half of a tea towel and the long 2.5″ wide strips.
- Trim the apron top at the sides to the same width as the tea towel plus seam allowance. See photo above: just lay them out, center the apron top and trim leaving about 2cm.
- Fold the side edge in about 1cm, then fold again and sew to create the seam.
- Lay the apron top and tea towel raw edge right sides together, pin and sew.
- Press the seam to one side and top stitch the hold the seam flat. Trim the raw edge with pinking shears.
The apron ties are made from the 2.5″ strips.
- Fold each strip in half lengthways wrong sides together and press to create a crease.
- Open the fold up and fold in each edge about quarter of an inch and press.
- Fold the whole strip in half again so that the raw edges are inside the folds. Stitch the open edges closed.