When we had our Pretty Pamper Party, one of things the girls made was Chocolate Lip Gloss. It was inspired by Jill at Meet the Dubiens.
Here’s how you can make some too.
What You Need
- Cocoa Powder
- Petroleum Jelly
- small lidded container to store it in – I found mine at a pharmacy
- something to mix it in – we tried to use these little clear plastic dishes but you need something bigger!
- microwave safe jug or bowl
- mixing utensil – spoon or stick
- microwave oven
What To Do
We made a huge mess and this was not the most successful of our activities, so I’m going to tell you what we did, then what I’d try next time based on our experience.
- Scoop the petroleum jelly into the microwave safe bowl or jug and microwave it in 30 second bursts until it is liquid.
- Let that cool a little so you don’t burn yourself
- Put some cocoa powder into your mixing bowl – we used about a tablespoon of cocoa for a tablespoon of jelly
- Spoon some jelly on top and mix – this is the messy bit! It is pretty sticky but keep going until the powder is mixed through.
- Transfer the gloss to your storage container (again kinda messy!)
My Tips for Next Time
- Make sure the petroleum jelly is quite liquid. I was in a hurry with 8 eager girls and I didn’t melt it enough so it was still quite sticky and very hard to mix.
- Use larger mixing containers – ours were way to small so everything quickly tipped out over the edge as we tried to mix and made a huge mess!
- Have damp cloths on hand for cleaning up finger as you go – this will leave a mark on cream fabric chair covers (yes, that’s experience talking… sigh…)
I’m planning to have another go at this activity over the school holidays so I’ll update this post then.