The Giveaway is now Closed
A little while ago I was gifted a copy of a brand new release book called Sew Together, Grow Together. Trixi Symonds has written this crafty book full of projects that are especially designed for kids to make with a little help from Mum or Dad. Trixi has been teaching sewing to kids for years but she wanted to create a book that would allow even a non-sewing parent to encourage their child to sew. The projects are all tried and tested in her classes and graded from easier to harder so that parents and kids can work together and learn the basic skills as they go along. They are projects intended to be finished in a day and they all use hand sewing so there is no sewing machine investment needed.
For a few weeks I have been suggesting to my 10 year old girl that we have a look at one of these projects, but she was reluctant. Eventually I decided I would just get started one afternoon at the kitchen table and hope that she would join in. Sure enough, by the time I had found fabric and started cutting the pattern out, she was curious about what I was making. When I suggested that she could sew too, she happily grabbed a needle. In fact, when I finished the largest owl and moved onto the third one, she wanted me to leave it for her!
This family of owls are my favourite pattern from the book but there are also some other animals, bags and cushions to choose from. The instructions are super clear and easy to follow. We improvised eyes with buttons since we didn’t have any eyes on hand. The fabric was chosen with a Christmas theme in mind so I’m calling these my Three Wise Owls. Little Miss already has plans for another one in pretty fabric for her room. They’d be great enlarged as a bed cushion too. The book says to fill them with rice, but we used bird seed left over from making Bean Bags.
The book is available over at Cooperative Press for only $16.95 in either hard copy or digital PDF format. I have the digital format and it is easy to just print the page of patterns that you need to use.
UPDATE: Trixi’s book is no longer available from Cooperative Press. She will be selling it via her Etsy shop from early 2014. Find the link at her blog, Coloured Buttons.
One lucky reader can win a copy of the digital version of this lovely book, Sew Together Grow Together
To enter, just pop over to the book order page and check out all the projects. Which one would you make first?
Come back here and leave a comment on this post telling me which one you would like to make and how you would make it special.
- Only one entry per person.
- This is a game of skill, not chance. I will be looking for creativity in the answers. The most creative answer will win.
- You must leave a valid email address for me to contact you for a valid entry.
- Open to International entries.
- Entries open with this post on Monday 18th November 2013 and close on Monday 25th November 2013 at 8pm Brisbane, Australia time.
- The winner will be chosen from the valid entries and contacted via email before midnight Wednesday 27th November 2013.
- If the winner doesn’t contact me, after 4 days I will choose a new winner to replace them.
- Once I have been in contact with the winner, I will announce their first name and pass on their details to Cooperative Press who will send out the prize via email.
- I can’t take responsibility for any issues in the delivery process.
Disclosure: This is not a Sponsored Post. I was gifted a copy of this book and chose to write the review for no payment. All opinions are my own, of course.