My Little Miss wanted a Maid Marion costume for Book Week so here’s how I made it. This would also be great for Halloween.
Back to Book Week costumes – I know, bit late now but I still have to share! Remember Mr Happy went as Obi Wan Kenobi? Little Miss decided she wanted to be Maid Marion this year, and naturally, she expected that her Crafty Mummy would be creating something special to wear. So I thought a bit (and googled a bit) and made a dress, a cape and a head-dress. The pale blue fabric was inherited from my lovely Mother-in-law’s stash and was just enough for a floor length dress.
Maid Marion’s Dress
What I Used
- Fabric – wide enough to be body and sleeves, and long enough to be shoulder to floor when folded in half
- Scissors, thread, etc
What I Did
1. I folded the length of fabric in half with right sides together and laid a shirt in the centre top to give an idea of size.
2. I cut the sleeve and body shape then down to the bottom creating a wide skirt on one half of the fabric.
3. I folded the cut half on to the top of the uncut half and cut the second half the same.
4. Next I cut a hole for the neck.
5. I stitched up each side and along the sleeves. (You can see my not-so-great overlocking but I really wanted to play with my new machine. Luckily I’ve done a class since then and learnt how to create a much better corner.)
6. I also stitched a hem on the neck line and hemmed the skirt.
Maid Marion’s Cape
What I Used
- Grey fabric – 132cm x 108cm
- 20cm of ribbon
What I Did
1. I marked the centre of the longer side of the fabric and folded the edges in to meet in the centre, right sides together.
2. I folded the fabric in half with the ends tucked inside.
3. I cut a curve at the top like the shape of the top of the shoulder.
4. I pinned the curve and stitched.
5. Then I hemmed all the raw edges.
6. I added some ribbon for tying.
The head-dress was just as easy. Find the tutorial here: Maid Marion’s Head Dress
Very cute! I love how you put the shirt up to the fabric to give you an idea of the size! Brilliant! 😀
Btw, I found your blog through Top Mommy Blogs. 😉
wow did you do that by hand, it looks great